Thursday, January 26, 2012

Days 6 + 7: Explorations and Exhalations

Clever, huh?

Seriously though, yesterday was pretty crazy. I had class at 10-12, then decided to go get my OV ChipKaart and maybe go exploring to Venlo - so I did. Parked my bike, bought the card, got on the bus, and then I realized something.

I didn't know what stop Venlo is.

... ADVENTURE!

So I rode for about 40 minutes until I saw a marketplace in a square surrounded by clock towers, stores, and vaguely metropolitan lifestyle, then got off the bus (apparently tapping my card once too many times because I surprised the busdriver by getting off so quietly and he almost shut the door in my face). It was kind of chilly but otherwise perfect, with a huge spread of scarves, charms (several of which I quite liked), and bags (one of which I particularly wanted, aided by the €2 price tag). Then I realized something else.

I didn't know how to ask the price.

.... WINDOWSHOPPING!

To elaborate, I didn't know how to say "how much is that?" in Dutch; rather, all I could remember was "これはいくら出すか?” which frankly was not going to help anybody. So, the meandering went on until I came across an H&M, going inside on a whim that they might have my favorite tank tops in the colors/sizes I needed. They did! Nederland H&M 1; MA & NH H&Ms 0. Yesss. Walking went on to a gorgeous little square including a storefront sign of "Chocolaterie" on a beautiful old door - now I have a little bag of chocolates and the knowledge of "Hoeveel" for "how much." A bit later I was right freezing and saw a sign for "Chocolademelk binnen!" outside of a café called Milk & Cookies. Somehow I managed to order and pay for "a small dark hot chocolate for here please oh and how much is it?" in almost complete (but likely butchered) Dutch. Turns out the chocolate was all at the bottom and I stirred the hot milk part of it all together, with a tiny, kind of floury-tasting, chocolate chip cookie on the side. Best homework session EVER.


Then came the trip home. Unfortunately, the market was being packed up when I got back, so that bag'll have to wait - got on the bus, no problem, waited, and hit "STOP" when the LED screen above the broken map read "Klein Vink," because OSA keeps saying "It drops you off right at Café Vink!" Turns out, Klein ≠ Café, it equals two stops before Café Vink, and two stops in the Netherlands is VERY. VERY. different from two stops in Boston. As in, I waited for 10 minutes, then walked for 45 and still was only about halfway from my stop back to Well when a car honked behind me and pulled over. He asked me where I was going and (from the other side of the road) I said "Well." He said something in Dutch, then when I made no forward movements, said, "Oh, sorry. I ... I drive? You back? It very cold!"

Okay, I know what you're going to say, but after a minute or so debating, I figured that he seemed like any normal person taking pity on an obviously rather lost student walking along a several-mile-long bike path near twilight. So I got in, with my hand on the phone in my pocket just in case.

He asked my name, if I was on vacation (all in Dutch), then (another 10-15 minute!! drive later) dropped me off at the bus stop. I think he was asking for my telephone number, but I told him I didn't have one, sorry, yes it's weird, thank you so much; he said to take care, then I got back to my bike at Spar, biked home and sat in my room with a hot chocolate thinking "wtfwtfwtf" for the fifteen minutes until dinner.

Lucas later told me that I #1 am the stupidest person on the planet and #2 could have, in fact, called OSA, as the red card we are all required to carry has their numbers on it. Mine was, apparently, tucked away behind some card or another in my wallet. Bekka Fail.

Later that night: Red-White-Blue Themed First American Night. Let's just say there were about five times as many Dutch boys as on Saturday, and of course they are all, surprise surprise, around 16. I'm assuming that the people from around here who are actually our age are, you know, in college, but that didn't stop a fair number of girls from flirting. Meanwhile, in the bathroom, Alessandra and I are avoiding the smoke and excitedly discussing the Lucca trip, Italian food in general, and how fantastic Jamie Oliver is. Oh yeah, and the bar owner gave us all free Flugel shots, toasting to the new semester and doing his shot hands-free standing on the table. #Likeaboss

AS FOR TODAY
I was woken up by my music group members each showing up 30 and 25 minutes earlier than I thought we had agreed on, then finally met up with Taryn (who lives on my floor) but never managing to find Emily until lunch. After lunch, I picked up my package from the mailroom - from Miss Kate et al.!!

My life can always do with more #1 Chokotoffs, and #2 Kindergartener signatures.

By the way, between breaking in the boots and breaking in the flats, it is wonderful that EUOR has athlete tape. I grabbed some after class and rushed back for our second attempt at a group meeting; Group Meeting turned into Girl Talk + some talking about the project for the next hour and a half (thank god for GoogleDocs so we don't have to waste time on organizing meetings during Amsterdam), then dinner time, pre-packing, and yoga with Lars from 7:30-9.

Can I just say, I have not been worked that hard in YEARS. On top of that, although rumors had been that only two people were going, by the end all 11 or so of us had basically turned the Barbetta Room into a Bikram studio. My favorite part was during Shavasana, where after a long week topped with a long workout had my mind wandering but unfocused at the same time; It was sort of like listening to myself list my worries and stressors from across a foggy swamp - it's there, I can hear it, but not really and it's not that important anyway. Granted, the room temperature probably had a say in that, but it still felt wonderful. (Wheels and Shavasanas have always been my favorite parts of yoga practices, honestly.)

Well, tomorrow is Amsterdam. Rooster-call at 6:45.
With that, I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment