Monday, January 30, 2012

Days 8 (F), 9 (S), 10 (s), 11 (M): Welcome to Amsterdam, a.k.a. Where Traffic Is The Hunger Games

Well, I have a presentation on a Russian dance producer tomorrow morning, but I really just need to talk about this weekend.

 This weekend: Amsterdam.

Friday, up at 6:45 for 7:00 breakfast. 2 hour bus ride in, which consists of telling Dojna The Venray Adventure (it was initially called the Venlo Adventure, but then she told me I actually went to Venray), attempting to read The Odyssey, and sleeping. Right off the bat (after literally dropping our stuff in the hostel storage room and getting out fast), we're on a tour of the city, dodging bikes and getting trapped on sidewalks left and right. Guess who got Chester Lee, the guy who's lived in Amsterdam for years and literally wrote the test on it for tomorrow (a.k.a. later today)? This kid. Mel and I had a fantastic chocolate cake during the lunch break, and afterwards we all saw the Rijksmuseum, walked (somehow without casualties) to Rembrant Square, and as a group inhaled some of the best Indonesian food I think I will ever have. There was a terrifying TV screen across from the bus stop, which we all tried to avoid watching and all failed miserably. Then I landed what is probably one of if not the best possible roommate situation in our program and later went out with Mel, Alessandra, Lane, Najah, Lucas, and Riley to see the Red Light District and find a bar.

Frankly, the Red Light District was interesting to see but definitely bizarre. We left after a six-minute tour to find the 3 Sisters Pub back in Rembrant Square, and didn't wind up getting back to the hostel until 3:30. We were waiting for the night bus, which was supposedly going to come but never did; meanwhile, Johnny was talking to locals about the bus schedule and René was singing, at first things like Hotel California and classics, then just singing about his life. We finally started walking after being outside for nearly an hour - my good humors had completely run out by then - and within two minutes found a string of taxis on the next block. OSA Chaperone Fail.

Saturday: I saw the Anne Frank house, which was (for lack of a better term) astounding. The model gave it quite a bit more space than in real life, and the walkthrough was honestly terrifying to imagine as real life.
After the book shop (moral opinions withheld), a group of us went out hunting for lunch. Lars is gluten-free, so the Pancake Shop was out, but two stores up was this fantastic place with GF options called Utrecht - they even let us upstairs to reorganize the tables for our group! 
As for the food, feast your eyes.

Front: Pan-fried chicken w/feta (Sat); Back: goat cheese with apples, honey, and walnuts (Sun)
Discuss.

 I had a fantastic Belgian beer on the side - or rather, a half beer - which nobody could pronounce, then we all split into smaller groups back in the Dam Square for our respective museums. Mine? Baroque Flemish art. I actually didn't know it was going to be Baroque. My life just loves me like that sometimes. Right after dinner was prepping for the 20th Century concert - for anyone who thinks they've heard accordions play, you actually haven't unless you've heard Aydar Gaynullin. (This wasn't what he played for us but he's still amazing). We headed out afterwards for Chris B's 20th birthday at Club Escape - my first time clubbing, and apparently the first for many others too (not Mel or Lucas, obviously, as they've been doing this since around 2007). We met up with a huge chunk of the Emerson population in the line. Guess what the female to male Emersonian ratio was? 
Around 40, maybe 50, to 4.
I think we did it right.

This time, I didn't get home until 4, then (after a shower) finally crashed at 4:26. I dreamed I was still at Escape and woke up more tired and yet somehow energized.

Sunday was my no-requirements day, so while some classes had museum trips, Lane and Alessandra and I went out for coffee/Dam Square exploring while Emily E. was in the Frank House. We met up and decided to just go back to Utrecht for lunch (as Emily hadn't gone), this time on the ground floor. Turns out, the ground floor has a cat.

Alessandra and Emily keeping our new friend far away from me

We named him Bailey; the waiter (same guy from yesterday!) told us that Kitty didn't have a name. The sandwiches picture also includes my Sunday selection. Nom.

 We poked around a department store, grabbed some delftware and postcards, then headed over to the Royal Palace Museum.

This. Please.
 I want to live here.

The tour took a good two hours or so, during which time we tested and collaborated our art history knowledge to figure out which statues meant what based on their locations, how room styles affected uses, etc. Unfortunately, my camera died in the sixth room, so everything after 4pm is on someone else's camera.

Alessandra suggested Turkish food for dinner, so we found one (opening later in the night) and in the meantime wandered around the city finding vintage shops, accessories, and a wonderful place called Sabon. 
So. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a Lush junkie; there is a specific, sizable section of my heart set aside for natural bath & beauty products. This is a known and widely accepted fact.

Well, Sabon has now nestled itself into that spot and is currently taking up about 25% of the assigned space.
Not kidding.
We pitched in on an actually magical Dead Sea mud mask for girls' night, only €7.50 each. My face is still softer on the tester side. You'll find out why this is sad later.

About 45 minutes of walking/shopping later, we finally found the Turkish restaurant and then let Alessandra pick everything because nobody else knew what was what. €21 (each) later, we've had some of the best food & wine I think I might ever eat.

4 hours of screaming, running, dodging bikes, laughing, confusion, exhaustion, semi-terror, and general exhilaration later, we land in Well. Somewhere during the train ride, we misplaced the Sabon bag and apparently our sanity; it's also snowing.
I'm still in a skirt.
Dojna said that any of our troubles were because they were traveling with me.

As for today, let's just say that 8 hours of sleep was not enough. However, Prague is set for Thursday and next week's Lucca trip is almost completely solid. I can't believe this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment